There’s been a huge demand for fresh and organic products in recent years. Aside from food staples, you can also see these labels on things like cosmetics, pet products, as well as fabrics. If you’re health-conscious or have been advocating for sustainability, going organic can be a good way to reduce your carbon footprint, while also maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Here are a couple of basics on being organic.
What You Need To Know
The term ‘organic’ means ‘grown without the use of pesticides, synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, genetically modified organisms or ionizing radiation’. If it’s a label on meat or meat products, the animals should be free of antibiotics or growth hormones.
Depending on your country, standards for organic labels can vary. In the U.S. for instance, it’s the USDA that identifies and helps certifies products that can carry the label ‘organic’. There are three categories, namely:
- 100% Organic – these are products made with all organic ingredients
- Organic – these have at least 95 percent organic ingredients
- Made with Organic Ingredients – needs a minimum of 70 percent organic ingredients, including non-GMOs on the remaining 30 percent
Read about your own country’s regulations on organic products. Understanding what is considered organic where you live is the first step on knowing which to buy and which to pass up during your next shopping trip.
Going organic for the first time can be daunting. Also, because these items usually adhere to strict standards, expect to pay 20 to 50 percent more than what you’re used to. But with careful planning and some research into your local grocery stores, it’s possible to slowly make the shift to healthier, more environment-friendly alternatives.
Of course, you need to find local grocery stores in your area first. The Web is your best friend. Look up stores, products, and prices. Spend some time comparing prices, reading reviews, and listing stuff that you like. Consider your time and budget, too. Think about what you can purchase in-store vs. what you want delivered to your doorstep.
Before you know it, you’ll be incorporating more and more organic products into your shopping cart.
Can’t wait to go shopping? Be inspired by these mesmerizing organic grocery store photos.
Organic Grocery Store Photos
Shelves full of organic dairy products at an organic grocery store.
Differently colored carrots for sale in an organic grocery store.
Black shopping cart left out empty in the middle of a grocery store.
Frozen section in an organic grocery store.
A man and a woman opening the fridge in a organic grocery store.
Sparkling clean floor in a organic grocery store.
Man shopping for fruit in an organic grocery store.
Man shopping at an organic grocery store with a full grocery cart.
Shelves full of organic beverages for sale in an organic grocery store.
Fresh lettuce for sale at an organic grocery store.
Organic chips with an orange packaging sitting on a shelf in a grocery store.
Close-up shot of a cash register in an organic grocery store.
Close-up shot of the makeup section inside a grocery store.
Shiny organic apples for sale at a grocery store, with green apples in the background.
Grocery carts with red handles photographed from up close at an organic store.
Beautiful organic apples photographed from up close in an organic grocery store.
Organic fruit and vegetables for sale at a grocery store.
Stacked organic soap bars with multiple different scents for sale at a grocery store.
Various different spices packed and ordered on black shelves.
Close-up shot of nut dispensers in a grocery store.
Organic beverages for sale in a local organic grocery store.
This Photo Pack is Available to Fancycrave Premium Members Only.
Join Today for $9.99/month.
Fancycrave Membership gives you instant access to unique, authentic and engaging photo packs you’ve never seen before. The best part is that you will be able to download them with just one click.
Powered by Creative Market